How to Make an Accident Compensation Claim

Post 2 of 27

Accidents can happen to anyone at any time. However, the gravity of an accident can severely affect your lifestyle. If you are in an accident and you suffer injuries which affect your lifestyle you should claim compensation. In most cases physical injuries can make it difficult for a person to maintain the same income and can even come with additional medical costs. Today we are going to teach you how to make an accident compensation claim.

  • Proof

In order to have any chance of getting compensation you will need solid proof that you suffered damage due to an accident caused by another person. For example if you have been in a car accident or you were assaulted you will need to contact the police. The police report will be a solid proof in a court of law. Furthermore you will also need medical records which prove your injuries. Make sure that you go to the hospital as soon as possible so that the medical records show the gravity of the injuries before they have the chance to heal. You might also want to make some pictures. If you have a witness or any other piece of evidence, make sure that you use it.

  • Legal help

The best thing to do in order to file an accident compensation claim is to find a solicitor that is specialized in such lawsuits. He will teach you how to fill out the form as well as what your next steps should be. Make sure that the solicitor you choose has worked on similar cases and has professional expertise. For example if you suffered the accident in the hospital due to medical negligence you will need a malpractice solicitor. You should also try to find a no win-no fee solicitor. This way, if you don’t win the lawsuit you will not have wasted your money.

  • Sending the claim

After you get all your things in order you will have to send a written accident compensation claim to the person who caused your injuries. Your solicitor will help you determine the adequate compensation that you are entitled to.

  • Litigation friend

You can make an accident compensation claim even if you were not the person who suffered the accident. If you have a child under the age of 18 who suffered an accident, you can make a claim in his behind. You will be acting as a litigation friend. A peculiar situation is when the person causing the accident is the father or tutor of the injured child. While you can’t be the litigation friend and the injurer in the same time, another family member can make the claim. This is very useful in case of road accidents when insurance companies pay the compensation.